Re: [Openexr-devel] how to get images in EXR format?

From: Alec Bartsch
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] how to get images in EXR format?
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:39:27 -0800

On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 12:24 PM, Nick Porcino wrote:

Most of the Powershot and above Canon models will save raw CCD data. The easiest way to do it is to put the camera under PC control which sends the raw CCD data directly to the PC.

Some of the Nikon cameras will save raw data too, although they save in a proprietary format called NEF (basically a 12-bit linear grayscale dump of the CCD before the pixels are filtered out into separate channels). Fortunately there are a few free or cheap NEF converters out on the web. I just learned there's a firmware update for the Coolpix 5000 that will allow it to export NEF, but I haven't tried using yet.

Also, the auto-bracketing features on many digital cameras are handy for building multi-exposure HDR images, as they reduce misregistration due to camera shake.

   Alec Bartsch
   Lead Texture/Lighting TD
   "The World of Tomorrow"