Re: [Openexr-devel] how to get images in EXR format?

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] how to get images in EXR format?
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:46:30 -0800

Hi Andreas,

Each of the OpenEXR sample images is a combination of three
or four frames.  From frame to frame, the exposure time was
increased by a factor of four.  The lens aperture was kept
fixed to avoid changing the depth of field.

All of the sample images were shot on negative film.  If you
are going to use a digital camera, you should try to turn off
as much of the camera's built-in image processing as possible.
Some digital cameras appear to perform feature-sensitive image
enhancement, which makes combining the individual frames rather
difficult.

The dynamic range that can be captured with multiple exposures
tends to be limited by the camera's optical system.  In the
brightest exposures, internal reflections cause fogging, and hide
details in the darkest part parts of the image.  Some of the fog
can be removed by subtraction.  This was done on the OpenEXR
sample images.

If you want to record images of moving objects, neither the
multiple-exposure technique nor a Panoscan camera will work;
the recording process simply takes too long.  However, you
can shoot moving scenes on motion-picture negative film, which
captures a significantly wider dynamic range than most digital
cameras; you get between 2 and 4 extra f-stops.  You can then
scan the negative to get all the recorded information, if
necessary in multiple passes, with different scanner exposure
settings.

Florian