Re: [Openexr-devel] Willing to help

From: Rodrigo Damazio
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Willing to help
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 06:26:02 -0200

Drew Hess wrote:

Hi Rodrigo, thanks for the offer. I'll try to prepare a TODO list and post it at the CVS site so that people who're willing to help can find tasks. One thing that'll definitely be needed is testing and building of CVS source before releases. I've got a few different platforms here at work, but I can't cover everything.

At work I have access to many PCs, SGIs and a few Suns...but you probably do, too...I've also got OpenEXR runnign on my iPAQ handheld(in Linux)...it's very slow because its CPU lacks floating-point operations, but it works pretty well...

Here's a start for the TODO list:

- it'd be great if "make dist" would create pre-packaged libs, includes,
 and binaries on the various platforms: an RPM in Linux (use a .spec
 file), a zip file in Windows, a .pkg file in OS X, and a .tar.gz file
 for everything else (IRIX etc.)

I will do that to start then...there's this little program called EPM(http://www.easysw.com/epm/ <http://freshmeat.net/redir/epm/2370/url_homepage/epm>) which can package in all those formats and many others, using the same specs file...I personally think it's quite useful...can I use it??

- need a FAQ for this mailing list and for general OpenEXR questions

       Ok, I'll start that too...

- an ImageMagick plugin

       How about a GIMP plugin??

- a Maya plugin

I could try to work on that after I get the packaging and FAQ started...but if I'm not mistaken, writing an image plugin for Maya requires an API that Alias only released for IRIX(Maya Composer's), doesn't it?? And btw, don't you guys already have that at ILM?? Or must it remain closed-source for some reason??

- a Houdini plugin (someone may be working on this one already)

       I know too little about Houdini to work on one...

- a Quicktime plugin (someone may be working on this one already)

       Know too little about quicktime too...

- exr2tiff, tiff2exr (support 32-bit float TIFFs, especially)

I can surely work on this one as well...should be easy if we use libtiff

- Python bindings

       I'll pass on this one...I know too little python...

- some standards for OpenEXR attributes.  Start with a discussion of
 what attributes are needed.

Well, this is the discussion list, so how about starting the discussion now?? =c)

Btw, how did you generate the example exr files?? Did you convert them from another format or something?

Rodrigo