om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] Re: The name. Again.

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] Re: The name. Again.
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 16:50:21 -0400

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 23:10 -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-06-03 at 12:44 +1000, Loki Davison wrote:
> > Maudel and Grauph are quite nice. Maud is horrible. ;) Maudel does
> > make me think of middle earth which may or may not be a good thing.
>
> I prefer both to Maud as well.
>
> Which though, I dunno.

Okay.

I think what I'm going to go with is "Grauph", for the name of
the /suite/ of applications that compose Om.  That way everything gets a
proper name, but the lot has a nice name to refer to the project by.

Basically:

om-synth      -> Grauph
om            -> Graupher   (server)
om_gtk        -> Grauphical (graphical)
omsynth.py    -> Graupy     (graupee?)
om_demolition -> Graupholition

etc.  Something coherent instead of the current random mess.  Is this a
bit much though?

It's nice to have a root to base new app names on, since there's only
going to be more over time.  eg a "om_gtk and om engine in the same
process" app?  Graupholithic.  AJAX UI?  Grauphax.  etc. etc.

Thoughts?

Unless someone has a better idea, this is it.

-DR-