Re: GPL specifics -- was: [Nel] Gamer question

From: Vincent Archer
Subject: Re: GPL specifics -- was: [Nel] Gamer question
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 10:23:21 +0100

According to zen:
> Hi Kai,
>
> To my understanding, you don't have to release the source code if you don't
> sell it, according to GPL. Surely you may release the code in development,
> but it's not obligatory.

It's not "sell", it's "distribute". Even if you distribute it for free
on some web site with anonymous public access, it's distribution, and the
source must be available.

A lot of projects release their source during development, but that's
because they're highly distributed in nature, and it works better. The
Ryzom team is working out of the same offices, and probably doesn't
have the time to look at most would-be contributions at this stage.

Once the initial release is done, they'll have time to further cooperate
with the rest of the people out there.

--
        Vincent Archer                  Email:  address@hidden

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
                                                        (Woody Allen)