GPL specifics -- was: [Nel] Gamer question

From: Kai Schutte
Subject: GPL specifics -- was: [Nel] Gamer question
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 19:07:24 -0500

On Thursday 13 December 2001 09:49, Vincent Archer wrote:
> Whenever you get a GPLed program (and the license on the NeL library
> is such that a program linked to it must be GPL too), under any form,
> you must also be able to access/request/get a copy of the source.
>
> So anybody who has a Ryzom client has the right to access the source.
>
> Of course, until there IS an official client, almost no one outside
> Nevrax has that right :)

I don't want to drag this out eternally, but I see a little lapse of
reasoning. Technically speaking, the development version of Ryzom is probably
currently being linked and tested with NeL, therefore, Ryzom must inherit the
GPL.
Therefore, the current development code is in the public domain, therefore
should be published. Of course, I understand your need to keep Ryzom "secret"
until it is done, releasable and sellable, so that you can put food on your
plates (and buy big cars for your Venture Capital people), yet, isn't this
secrecy a violation of the GPL, since Ryzom is GPL'd?

Wouldn't it be better then, for Nevrax, if NeL was LGPL, and thereby making
it legal (or rather, in accordance to the GPL) for you to keep Ryzom from
public eyes?

Just thinking out loud...

-Kai