monotone-debian

Re: [Monotone-debian] monotone-viz FTBFS

From: Ludovic Brenta
Subject: Re: [Monotone-debian] monotone-viz FTBFS
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 21:14:15 +0200

Markus Wanner <address@hidden> writes:
> On 05/14/2014 10:04 AM, Francis Russell wrote:
>> I'm looking at this, but I've but yet been able to replicate. The build
>> log for the failure seems to show everything fine except linking against
>> the utility library. I'm guessing this may just be the search path for
>> the linker isn't including the library, but I'll need to either work out
>> what's causing this or create a Debian unstable installation first.
>
> thm on IRC just pointed out to me that linking against lib3rdparty.a
> (which is also generated) might work. And it did for me.
>
> However, I'm not sure that's the right approach for the Debian package.

Either lib3rdparty.so is packaged separately and used in other software,
in which case monotone should build-depend on it and not built it at
all; or, lib3rdparty is a monotone-only construct, in which case
monotone should only build the static version; better yet, do not build
it at all as a library and link the constituent object files directly
into the "mtn" executable.

The name suggests that "lib3rdparty" in fact contains software that is
not part of monotone; in this case the Debian package for monotone
should not build it at all and instead build-depend and link with the
corresponding libraries (plural).

--
Ludovic Brenta.