Re: Log files monitoring

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: Log files monitoring
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 14:43:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

Both these ideas are interesting.

1) Monitor a log file using regex and standard action as described below

Mhhh... we eventhough it sounds useful it could be troublesome implementing it.

We have to reopen the certain logfile everytime we check. Split out the "new" lines. Test the regexp on each new line. Save the position of the line. So far so good.

What happens if logs get rotated? What do we check? The logfile of the same inode or the logfile with the same name or both?

What if we catch the line half written? Do we ignore it and evaluate it next cycle? Or do we evaluate it?

Do we need to support multiline parsing?

Just my 0.0154EUR... but still it should find its way to the TODO list. I give it +1 but don't make me say later "I told you so!". (:

2) Customize monit log file output. Using the same approach as the apache project for configuring output. The log file format could be set using a global set-statement, ala: set logformat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b" and where applicable the format specifiers match those of apache.

That's useful.. +1.

Chistian

P.S.: Could someone please tell me why I am at work on a holiday?

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113