Re: Log files monitoring

From: Mike Jackson
Subject: Re: Log files monitoring
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 08:48:38 -0700

You might like to try Logwatch, which is a Perl script that you run from Cron.
It won't take action in the way Monit can, but it will email you when
something bad is appearing in the logs.

See www.logwatch.org

Swatch does the same thing, and can take action on events:

http://swatch.sourceforge.net/

I have it watching /var/log/auth.log on my FreeBSD box and adding packet filter rules to block hosts that try to log in via SSH as root or test. Only problem is that it can only watch one logfile per Swatch instance/config file.

But, it would be nice if Monit had this capability.