Optionally monitoring, depending on local config?

From: Bryan K. Wright
Subject: Optionally monitoring, depending on local config?
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:24:20 -0400

Hi folks,

        I've just started looking at monit, and it looks very useful.
I'd like to deploy it onto bunch of machines, but they're all running
different combinations of services.  Some have httpd and sendmail,
some just httpd, some just smbd, etc..  Is it possible to use one
monit configuration for all the machines?

        Ideally, I'd like to be able to build tests into monit's
configuration file, of the form:

        if fileexists /etc/rc.d/S85httpd then
                check process apache with pidfile
/opt/apache_misc/logs/httpd.pid
        endif

or

        if `chkconfig sendmail` then
                check process sendmail with pidfile /var/run/sendmail.pid
        endif

Is anything like this possible?

                                                Thanks,
                                                Bryan
Bryan Wright                |"If you take cranberries and stew them like
Physics Department          | applesauce, they taste much more like prunes
University of Virginia      | than rhubarb does."  --  Groucho
Charlottesville, VA  22901  |
(434) 924-7218              |         address@hidden