Re: Feature request for config file checking?

From: Rick Robino
Subject: Re: Feature request for config file checking?
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:16:11 -0700

On Tuesday, June 10, 2003, at 06:41  PM, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

[...]

if timestamp "/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf" was changed then restart

something like this statement may also be used (suggestions for how
the statement may actually look are welcome):

if timestamp "/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf" was changed
 then send the process the SIGHUP signal

Without regard to practicality, my minds eye favors:
check timestamp "/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf" if changed then kill <[[-]#][[sig]name]> process

Where a "-" is optional prefix for a number arg, SIG optional prefix for a name arg. "signal" is a fine unambiguous choice of action word but I have to say that I like "kill" because it resembles what one would type in the shell more closely.

On a related note, w.r.t to the discussion about keyword alternatives: maybe a line like the above suggests a `cmd` or $(cmd) shell-style command substitution expression as a way to handle arbitrary solutions where a keyword doesn't yet exist?

Also, is it fair to assume that the action element following "timestamp" remains flexible so that we can AND an alert, execute restart script or whatever besides/rather-than just sending a signal?

--
Richard T. Robino