Feature request for config file checking?

From: Mark Ferlatte
Subject: Feature request for config file checking?
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 12:00:13 -0700

Hi all,

I've got a large cluster of machines that are all imaged from a central server.
What happens currently is that sometimes a config gets changed on the master
image, gets pushed out, but the daemons don't get restarted.

So, since I'm already using monit to see if the daemons are actually running,
it seemed like it would make sense for monit to check to see if the config file
had changed since the daemon had started and take an action... something like:

check apache with pidfile /var/run/apache.pid
  start program = /etc/init.d/apache start
  stop program = /etc/init.d/apache stop
  checkconfig /etc/apache/httpd.conf and restart on changed checksum

Is this something that would be interesting?  You can almost do it already, but
you need to embed a checksum into the configfile, which is not what I want: I
want monit to checksum the file on startup, and then check it periodically and
restart the daemon if that checksum changes.