Re: Feature request for config file checking?

From: Mark Ferlatte
Subject: Re: Feature request for config file checking?
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 10:19:52 -0700

Jan-Henrik Haukeland said on Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 03:31:23AM +0200:
> We had a discussion on the developer list[1] (starting with this mail:
>  http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/monit-dev/2003-01/msg00081.html)
> and decided to *not* automatically reload the control file in the latest
> release.
>
> Anyway the good news is that monit will reload the monitrc control file upon
> receiving the SIGHUP signal (this info should be in the documentation). If it
> is
> problematic to send a SIGHUP signal to running monit daemons on several
> machines
> after you have distributed a new monitrc control file we may and should
> probably
> add this functionality to the web-interface as well so you can call a certain
> URL
> from a script to update a running monit daemon like with such an URL:
>  http//IP-ADDRESS:2812/_reload
>
> What do you think?

That's not quite what I had in mind...

What I would like (and admittedly, this is a pretty niche feature, so it may
not be worth integrating), is for monit to notice changes in the configuration
files of software that monit is monitoring, and reload them if their config
file has changed.  This could, of course, apply to monit itself.

So, for example:

monit is watching apache on a cluster of webservers.  I push an update to those
webservers using rsync (so, new configs).  I want monit to notice that the
config file for the webserver has changed, and to take an action (ie, run
/etc/init.d/apache reload).

Perhaps the webserver cluster is a bad example... I'm in an environment where I
have ~100 machines that are running an identical image, and while deploying new
software is easy, deploying config file changes still requires logging into
each machine with a script and reloading/restarting services.  I want the
machines to do it themselves.

It seemed like monit was a good choice for this; however, if this isn't
something that "fits", I will just write a tool to do the same thing.