RE: Feature request for config file checking?

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: RE: Feature request for config file checking?
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 03:31:23 +0200

Actually, this functionality has existed in monit up until the 3.2 release.
We had a discussion on the developer list[1] (starting with this mail:
 http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/monit-dev/2003-01/msg00081.html)
and decided to *not* automatically reload the control file in the latest
release.

You can read more about the rationale for this decision in the thread starting
with the mail mentioned in the link above.

Anyway the good news is that monit will reload the monitrc control file upon
receiving the SIGHUP signal (this info should be in the documentation). If it
is
problematic to send a SIGHUP signal to running monit daemons on several
machines
after you have distributed a new monitrc control file we may and should
probably
add this functionality to the web-interface as well so you can call a certain
URL
from a script to update a running monit daemon like with such an URL:
 http//IP-ADDRESS:2812/_reload

What do you think?

Jan-Henrik

[1] We (i.e. the developers in the monit project ) should in the future strive
to bring functionality changes on this level to this mailing list so others may
take part in the discussion or at least get the information without having to
subscribe to the monit developer list.