RE: [Proposal] control storage systems

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: RE: [Proposal] control storage systems
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 00:33:12 +0200

> Yeah, it will be excellent, if monit could watch diskspace too

Great!

> In combination with
> some other features such as optional output format from monit http (for
> example plaintext/xml/etc.) it can be secure and more powerfull
> replacement for all dangerous SNMP implementations. I think that if such
> features will be in place, monit could be in the future accepted by big
> vendors as SNMP alternative. There could be console (managment
> station/system) that can fetch and manage all needed parameters from
> monit nodes through http and in  the case of central configuration
> source manage all those instances too (but it is maybe prety far in the
> future).

I have an answer for this that I have been thinking on for some time:
Web-services, now I said it :) Actually using SOAP over http would be a good
alternative to SNMP. Since monit http is supporting SSL it's even "secure". It
should be fairly easy to implement a simple SOAP protocol for the monit http
server and a central application could query X monit servers running on Y
machines to get the status via the SOAP protocol. An interessting spin-off from
this could be a GTK+ application that is queering monit servers continuously
and showing the status in a panel. Or it could be a small server that support
http and query monit servers and getting status from them. The user could use a
browser to speak with this server and thereby display the status for all monit
servers running (much like the main status page monit shows today).

(Check out http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/ and http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/)

What do you think?

Jan-Henrik