Re: [Proposal] control storage systems

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [Proposal] control storage systems
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 23:38:51 +0200

Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

I read that IBM plans for its management software, Tivoli, to support
monitoring of file/storage systems.

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-960724.html?tag=cd_mh

This seems like an interesting idea for monit as well, kind of a next
natural evolutionary step for monit's ability. From the top off my
head I was thinking along the lines in the monit controlfile:

if filesystem /usr/doc/* is > 90% then alert address@hidden
if filesystem /dev/hda1 > 90% then alert address@hidden

if filesystem /dev/hda1 > 90% then remove temporary files {*.bak, core, *.trc, *.tmp, *~ }

Other suggestions?

What do you think?

Yeah, it will be excellent, if monit could watch diskspace too (and maybe other stuff such as general process table). In combination with some other features such as optional output format from monit http (for example plaintext/xml/etc.) it can be secure and more powerfull replacement for all dangerous SNMP implementations. I think that if such features will be in place, monit could be in the future accepted by big vendors as SNMP alternative. There could be console (managment station/system) that can fetch and manage all needed parameters from monit nodes through http and in the case of central configuration source manage all those instances too (but it is maybe prety far in the future). Due to modular architecture it could be easy to extent monit by another optional modules (for example for SW/HW vendors).

I think the above syntax is good (only the asterisk in "/usr/doc/*" can maybe be avoided :)

+1 to above syntax

Cheers,