Re: [Proposal] control storage systems

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [Proposal] control storage systems
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:24:22 +0000

Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

<address@hidden> writes:

So, perhaps I can now watch the diskspace on my news partition.
Next, I'll be able to analze the content.

I'd be more than happy to do much work on this.

However, why don't we finish up the current work, release it, and
add this to the next release.

Absolutely, lets say that the next release, that is 3.1 include item 2
and 3 from this list: http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/next.html. That
is, dependencies and SSL, these are pratically finnished I think ?

For the next major release (4.0?) we have
1) Central configuration (Martin)

mea culpa - it was planned to 3.0, i hope i will now be more accurate with the timeframe :)

2) Monitoring filesystems ++ (Rory + hauk)

+1

3) Web-services (instead of SNMP)

+1 We maybe should implement similar mechanism as SNMP traps - it means active notifycation in the case of failure. I'm not sure if we should realy support SNMP traps as planned early - what do you think?

4) Start work on a GTK or http/browser application for reporting status
(Should we do GTK or web for the client? Personally I would like to play around a bit with GTK but web is probably easier)

I personaly preffer web technologies for similar purposes such as PHP for their portability and simple remote access - on the other side, X application can be preffered on lot of the sites too. I planne to look on X applications in the near future too (i preffer QT but it doesn't matter) so it can maybe be good exercise (or we can maybe use Zervlet as web alternative :)

What do you think?