Re: [Mldonkey-users] Bittorrent and mldonkey 2.5.4

From: Marc Thoben
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Bittorrent and mldonkey 2.5.4
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:57:06 +0100

On 30th of October 2003 at 22:44:11, Colin McKellar wrote:

> I have tried using mlnet to download torrents from time to time.
> Initially I have gotten phenomenal speeds, however after an hour or
> two, the speed generally drops right down.

Yes, I had that too with mldonkey versions before 2.5-4. I guess
it had to do with not reconnecting the tracker properly; thus not
finding fresh sources and not announcing the bytes already
downloaded (ready to share). But that is fixed now. The tracker now
even gets connected on pause/resume and about every hour or so.

> In my experience, mlnet doesn't upload much at all on the BT network.
> In the past I have had a few torrent files going in mlnet and no other
> downloads, and it is uploading little or nothing. This is the other
> reason I have issues with mlnet's BT handling. It doesn't seem like a
> friendly BT client.

Can't fully agree on that. This week I set up an mldonkey on a
seperate computer with enable_bittorrent = true only and I had a
constant upload stream of 10kb/s... but, only until the download
completed.

Not sure wether it has to do with dynamic_slots (= true here) or not:
When I have only edonkey downloads running I have 3-4 uploads. If I
add a bittorrent download then, 4-5 uploads to bittorrents are
added. But after about an hour I'm back to 3-4 edonkey uploads and
sometimes 1 bittorrent upload left, sometimes no bittorrent upload.

So currently I'm running two mldonkeys, one for edonkey and overnet,
one for bittorrent, though that's not the idea of mldonkey...

Best regards,
Marc