Re: [Mldonkey-users] Bittorrent and mldonkey 2.5.4

From: Colin McKellar
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Bittorrent and mldonkey 2.5.4
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:44:11 +0800

On 30/10/2003, at 8:16 PM, Marc Thoben wrote:

Hi there,

On 30th of October 2003 at 17:02:00, Colin McKellar wrote:

In my experience mlnet BitTorrent support is promising, but very
limited. mlnet can do BT, but other programs do it much better.

On 30/10/2003, at 4:44 PM, Juan C. Gallardo wrote:

Downloading the same file using a normal Bittorrent client I got up to
70k/s but using the mldonkey I can't get more than 15k/s.

I cannot agree on that, though I have only tested the original
bittorrent client. I even wish my mldonkey would download from
overnet and edonkey as fast as it downloads from bittorrent.

I have a 768/128 adsl line and currently I'm downloading 4 files
with 73kb/s: 3 donkey downloads with in total 11.9kb/s and 1
bittorrent download with 59kb/s.

All of those files are very well spread.

Sometimes I even consider looking for the same file on the donkey
network instead of adding it as bittorrent, since my other donkey
downloads often slow down to a crawl, when I add a well spread
bittorrent file to my downloads ;)

I have tried using mlnet to download torrents from time to time. Initially I have gotten phenomenal speeds, however after an hour or two, the speed generally drops right down.

Maybe you need to choose a different port ? Here in Germany are
quite a few providers, that restrict achievable speed on some
ports.. Try setting the port mldonkey uses for bittorrent to the
one your former bittorrent client used.

I am sure port numbers don't explain my experiences, as I can download at my full speed with other BT clients.

One thing that bothers me is, that as soon as the download is
completed, mldonkey no longer shares that file. Is it possible to
keep it shared to bittorrent users as long as the completed download
is not commited ? I start to feel like a leecher...

In my experience, mlnet doesn't upload much at all on the BT network. In the past I have had a few torrent files going in mlnet and no other downloads, and it is uploading little or nothing. This is the other reason I have issues with mlnet's BT handling. It doesn't seem like a friendly BT client.

Colin.