Re: [Mldonkey-users] Tagging

From: Christian Lange
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Tagging
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 12:49:37 +0200

Hello,

>>  may I suggest to use 2-6-xx tags for the main development releases and
>>  keep 2-5-xx tags for the branch? I find it a bit confusing that the new
>>  version in the 2-5-1-patches gets a 2-5-3 tag, while the newest
>>  development version is 2-5-2.

> Yes, I was thinking also about that, but it was already too
> late. But the situation is a bit particular, a critical bug has been
> found just when a major architecture change was being done, which
> should not happen that often in the future...

I don't mind the branching, this is just what branches are for. I was
trying to point out the inconsistency of using the 2.5-xx version
numbers in the trunk and the branch. The next experimental release
should IMHO have a tag like 2-6-something, but *not* 2-5-4.

>>  Also, naming the branch 2-5-patches would have seemed more logical to
>>  me.

> Not a bad idea... but the branch was done from 2.5-1, that's the
> reason why it has this name. But yes, in the future, we should always
> create a branch directly from the stable release...

Agreed, but see above for the numbering on the trunk.

 - Christian Lange, Berlin