Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] stack smashing on i686 with -O3 since da82d07

From: Moritz Bunkus
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] stack smashing on i686 with -O3 since da82d07dbe
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 22:16:31 +0200

Hey,

> I can't reproduce this bug. I'm compiling MXE's lua.exe with -O3 and
> it works perfectly without a crash in wine and in Windows XP. Can you
> provide the source of the crashing application and instructions on how
> to build it to get the crash, please?

Thanks for looking into it.

The application in question is my MKVToolNix[1]. The source code archive
contains instructions how to build the thing with MXE in
README.Windows.md[2] (section "Manual installation" is what should be
right for you).

Note that the file talks about getting MXE from my own fork. Please
disregard this – my own fork only reduces the number of features some of
the libraries are built (e.g. Qt without database support). I have made
sure that the crash happens with pristine MXE trees as well; like I said
in my initial email MXE @ da82d07dbeca23087aa4351914cf4b890c1d3972
produces the same crashes as my fork.

If you get the sources from my git repo[3] then please be aware there's
a test in configure whether or not the build is for i686 with mingw; if
so only -O2 is chosen. Make sure to look into the file "build-config"
after running configure and see the content of the "OPTIMIZATION_CFLAGS"
variable. Set it to -O3 before compiling.

So far I haven't had any luck trying to reproduce this issue in a test
application either. In MKVToolNix all applications are affected
(mkvmerge, mkvpropedit, mkvextract, mkvinfo, MKVToolNix GUI).

Kind regards,
mosu

[1] https://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/
[2] https://github.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/blob/master/README.Windows.md