mediagoblin-userops

Re: [Userops] What is "userops", and who does it target?

From: Bob Mottram
Subject: Re: [Userops] What is "userops", and who does it target?
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 11:25:56 +0100

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 05:07:09AM -0500, Kuno Woudt wrote:
> I do imagine you get to this by shipping an Apple TV like box with an app
> store
> to folks.  Not everyone wants to run their own hardware though, so you also
> need hosting providers to start offering hosting for the same apps.
>
> Even if you ship a physical box to folks you need help from hosting providers
> if you want a non-technical user to be able to purchase and set up a domain
> name for their home server.

That's one of the current difficulty bottlenecks. Both getting a domain name
and also an TLS certificate. For those of us in category 0 that process
is not tremendously hard, but I expect it will be impossible for
category 4 and maybe possible for category 3 if there is very specific
documentation about what commands to run, what to click on in what sequence,
etc.