mediagoblin-userops

Re: [Userops] What is "userops", and who does it target?

From: Kuno Woudt
Subject: Re: [Userops] What is "userops", and who does it target?
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 05:07:09 -0500

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015, at 03:25 PM, Dave Crossland wrote:

I can't understand how you could get close to even 3 without founding a (cooperative, 501c3 backed, etc etc) business that ships preinstalled servers to people.

I do imagine you get to this by shipping an Apple TV like box with an app store to folks.  Not everyone wants to run their own hardware though, so you also need hosting providers to start offering hosting for the same apps.

Even if you ship a physical box to folks you need help from hosting providers if you want a non-technical user to be able to purchase and set up a domain name for their home server.

-- Kuno.