mediagoblin-userops

Re: [Userops] Why is it hard to move from one machine to another? An ana

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: [Userops] Why is it hard to move from one machine to another? An analysis.
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 19:09:36 +0100

On 09/04/15 09:55, Elena ``of Valhalla'' wrote:
> On 2015-04-09 at 00:28:00 +0100, Christopher Baines wrote:
>> I think the old guaranteed way of making this work is to allow
>> applications to handle the migration themselves, otherwise you could run
>> in to incompatibilities in the software versions.
>
> I'm not sure that this would work in the case when the migration is not
> between an old live server and a newer one, because of planned updates,
> but between the backups of an old dead server and a new one, because
> of emergency replacement. I suspect that home servers may tend to fall
> in this case more often than "traditional" servers with an
> administrator.

Yep, I agree that it would not work, but I still think it would be a
valuable feature.

Dealing with restoring a application from a backup is very dependent on
the representation of the backup, and this is not something I know much
about.

It seems to me that this is important, but in my opinion should be
ignored when thinking about "moving from one server to another.