mediagoblin-userops

Re: [Userops] Why is it hard to move from one machine to another? An ana

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: [Userops] Why is it hard to move from one machine to another? An analysis.
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 13:01:34 +0100

On 09/04/15 23:17, Dave Crossland wrote:

> On 8 April 2015 at 19:28, Christopher Baines <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
>     I am currently
>     putting off migrating my tt-rss instance because I think I might have to
>     manually move the database across. What I really want to be able to do
>     is just sudo apt install tt-rss on the new machine, login, and give it
>     the credentials to the old machine, and have it do all the hard work.
>

> What database are you using? :)

PostgreSQL

> Why not set up tt-rss on your new host, point it to the existing
> database, and then set up a 2nd database on the new host, pair it to the
> existing one, wait for the replication to complete, point the new tt-rss
> to the new database, see it all working, then close the old database?

I was aware of PostgreSQL being able to do some distributed stuff, but I
had not considered using this functionality to move a database between
machines. I am not sure how this compares to other ways of moving the
database, but seems a bit difficult in that I would have to to configure
the networking and authentication, whereas at the moment, postgres is
just on 127.0.0.1 and using ident auth.