mediagoblin-userops

Re: [Userops] Why is it hard to move from one machine to another? An ana

From: Bob Mottram
Subject: Re: [Userops] Why is it hard to move from one machine to another? An analysis.
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 18:01:04 +0100

On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 12:17:25PM -0400, Dave Crossland wrote:
> I think this is bare-metal mindset. You don't update the container; you create
> a new one, and you throw throw the old one away after its no longer in use.
>
> Containers are light.

Containers are light, but they still need to be built.

>     Another problem is detecting when a rebuild should occur. Currently I
> don't
>     know of any mechanism which would initiate that, and something new would
>     need
>     to be written to check upstream repos for changes.
>

> https://docs.docker.com/docker-hub/builds/

Well, that's nice, but it looks like it depends upon infrastructure and
proprietary
services which I don't own or control. If it's all built with free software then
in principle there could be a community effort to collectively fund/run such an
infrastructure, but that's not really my use case.