mediagoblin-userops

Re: [Userops] Why is it hard to move from one machine to another? An ana

From: Bob Mottram
Subject: Re: [Userops] Why is it hard to move from one machine to another? An analysis.
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 12:37:29 +0100

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 02:34:01PM -0500, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> *That's* the thing I was pointing out at the very root of this thread.
> Not that containers can't be a useful tool, but that they aren't the
> universal solution to things.  The things happening with containers will
> probably play a huge part though.
>
>  - cwebb
>
> PS: And maybe this reopens that can of worms, but it's an exercise to
>   the reader to figure out: in what way are the hype around containers
>   today a lot like the hype around NOSQL a few years ago?  And before
>   you think that means I'm attacking "NOSQL" or containers entirely, I
>   think that postgres getting jsonb was a good result of all the NOSQL
>   hype!

Containers merely relocate the problem of reproducibly building a system
(via a Dockerfile, or whatever) but they do have the advantage of being
easier for a user to install and run.

In future it's maybe not out of the question that there could be services
which are continually generating updated containers which are then swapped
automatically at the user end. New containers would be gpg signed, and so
on, in a similar manner to package security and system updates today.
The user would have to trust the updates, but that's only the same as what
happens with distros currently.