mediagoblin-userops

Re: [Userops] What is "userops", and who does it target?

From: Bob Mottram
Subject: Re: [Userops] What is "userops", and who does it target?
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 20:06:55 +0100

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 11:16:11AM -0500, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> Here's attempt one at a definition:
>
>   Userops is about deployment solutions that target users rather than
>   developers or businesses.
>
> But wait, that's not right.  Many times, developers *are* users, if we
> think in the "user freedom" style of users.  Sometimes, users are
> hackers.  So, try two:
>
>   Userops is about deployment solutions targeting user freedom, rather
>   than developer freedom.
>
> This one I think has more bite: it's still a bit loose, but I think it
> gives us a better picture of things.  One might say that the whole state
> of the current "free software dark ages" has probably come from a shift
> to making sure that developers have a maxmimum of ability to write
> software and employment opportunities, but not really worrying about how
> that affects the end-user.  But if we're worried about end-user
> freedoms, that changes our focus.

My attempt at a definition is here:

http://coder.uk.to/bashrc/TheJargonFile/commit/05b9e5491213b7ac8c2fad89613c436e482c97f6

> 0) Big companies and developers with a high level of technical privilege
>    and enormous amounts of time, one way or another, to come to learn
>    and understand whole systems and keep them deployed.  I'd say this is
>    the current "devops" focus.  Hopefully "userops" systems aim for
>    better!
>
> 1) The people on this list deploying their own servers for themselves,
>    family, friends.  I assume this list is also full of the highly
>    technically privileged, but maybe we want to be able to reuse each
>    others' deployment strategies and build tools that reduce the amount
>    of time and effort required for us to self-host.
>
> 2) Your "average" free software operating system user.  Intentionally a
>    bit vague!  Assume they know how to install packages, maybe through
>    something graphical like synaptic usually, but can follow some
>    tutorial online and drop down to the command line if they really need
>    to.  This milestone is all about making your userops system "as easy
>    as" running synaptic or apt-get/yum, which is to say, it could be
>    better, but most of the system has been simplified for you.
>
>    (Note: If you think "don't distro package managers already solve
>    this?" I'd encourage you to watch the talk Deb and I gave at FOSDEM
>    this year:)
>

> http://ftp.belnet.be/FOSDEM/2015/devroom-distributions/can_distros_make_the_link%3f_lets_package_the_customizable,_free_software_web_of_the_future!_.mp4
>
> 3) The "tech-savvy" family member.  This person is the person who
>    usually installs the wifi router for the household and usually gets
>    asked to help other family members deal with basic problems.
>
>    Most family members have someone who knows well enough to help others
>    debug.  Maybe your system has some tricky edges to it, so that person
>    may help other family members come up to speed, or install something
>    for everyone else on their behalf.
>
>    (Aside: if you reference this example, please don't use sexist/ageist
>    tropes when describing roles.)
>
> 4) A very non-technical user.  This person may be able to install
>    applications from (sorry to use this term) "an app store" or etc, and
>    interacts with computers, but lacks a lot of self confidence or
>    skills regarding understanding how the technology they're working
>    with works at all.

I think that's a good breakdown of categories. I know of Freedombone users
who are in the 2 and 3 groups. 4 is going to be the toughest to reach,
but having seen the Sandstorm demo I can totally imagine someone in that
group running a container and then collaboratively editing a document
with some friends. Potentially Stanstorm could be not much harder to use
than an app store.

The main issue with category 4 I think will be the need for off the shelf
hardware with a consumer grade user experience, with all of the necessary
server software pre-installed.