mediagoblin-devel

Re: Running multiple site from one binary install

From: Michael Lynch
Subject: Re: Running multiple site from one binary install
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 15:39:49 -0400

Hi Olivier,

Thanks!

My current setup is read-only because I’m just hosting an unchanging set of videos. So my process looks kind of like this:

  1. Run a normal MediaGoblin instance in a local Docker container
  2. Upload all my videos to the local instance
  3. Copy my local /media/public folder to Google Cloud Storage.
  4. Deploy an instance of MediaGoblin + nginx with the rewrite rules to replace /mgoblin_media/media_entries with my GCS bucket.

At one point, I had a read-write version working by using gcsfuse:

https://github.com/mtlynch/mediagoblin-docker/blob/gcsfuse/entrypoint.sh

This is a blog post I wrote back then to explain the design:

https://mtlynch.io/retrofit-docker-gcs/

It’s too flaky and complicated for anything running in production though. In particular, updating mediagoblin.db and trying to sync it to GCS is a pain because SQLite assumes a filesystem where locks are available, but they’re not available with gcsfuse.

Thanks,
Michael

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 5:22 AM Olivier Mehani <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon 18 May 2020 at 21:11:20 -0400, Michael Lynch wrote:
>For my own MediaGoblin instance, I use nginx as well, but for a slightly
>different purpose. I use it for authentication and to redirect responses to
>files on Google Cloud Storage. All of my media is on Google Cloud Storage,
>so I use nginx as kind of a hack to rewrite MediaGoblin’s responses to
>point to GCS instead of locally.

That is neat! How do you handle the upload from MG to GCS?

--
Olivier Mehani <address@hidden>
PGP fingerprint: 4435 CF6A 7C8D DD9B E2DE  F5F9 F012 A6E2 98C6 6655