Re: Bug in builtin function abspath

From: Alessandro Vesely
Subject: Re: Bug in builtin function abspath
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 16:18:47 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 13:50:08 +0200
From: Alessandro Vesely <address@hidden>

I'm not sure what abspath should do on win32.

It should produce an absolute file name d:/foo/bar.., similarly to
what it does on Unix.

Fine.

And what about realpath?

The same, except that it should fail if the file or its parent
directory doesn't exist, and it should ``resolve links'', whatever
that may mean on Windows.

Hmm... it will be necessary to consider win9x/ME differently than
win2k and later versions that have restricted symlink capability.
With mount points one cannot reach "symlink/../not-in-cwd". To be
consistent with that, we should first compute ".."'s and then fail.
Correct?

Probably that's going to change again for Vista, see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/fileio/fs/creating_symbolic_links.asp

Should I try a patch?