Re: Bug in builtin function abspath

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: Bug in builtin function abspath
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 08:24:56 -0400

Quoting Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:

Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 08:23:13 -0400
From: Earnie Boyd <address@hidden>

IMO, make should not consider d:foo as a valid path even though the OS
does.

You mean in $abspath or everywhere?  We were talking about the former;
I'm not sure the latter is even practical.

Everywhere.

Anyway, please tell why you think so.  If it's a good reason, it could
simplify the code of abspath quite a bit.

The reason is that it supports bad habits and allows the user to create a makefile that is too specific to his own environment. It also raises confusion between target patterns vs file patterns.

Also, if Make considers d:foo invalid, what should it do if it does
meet it?  That is, what are the practical expression of rejecting such
file names?

"Unsupported path format." or some such verbiage.

Earnie Boyd

http://shop.siebunlimited.com