Re: Make configuration for Win32.

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Make configuration for Win32.
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 21:41:00 -0400

%% Earnie Boyd <address@hidden> writes:

  eb> Also I find in the source the use of a macro WINDOWS32 to filter
  eb> the code.  It would be more correct to use _WIN32 as this is the
  eb> documented macro for system identification.

RMS doesn't want the term "win" used when referring to Windows.  That's
why the macro was changed to WINDOWS32 in the first place.  Cluck, rail,
or roll your eyes all you like: make is an FSF package.

If you want to autoconfig it that would be great; but part of the
autoconfig will need to define WINDOWS32 in config.h (I would suppose).
I would be happy to see something like:

  AC_DEFINE(WINDOWS32, 1, [Built for a Windows system in 32-bit mode.])

or whatever seems appropriate.

  eb> I know that there is a RC already existing for 3.80, so I don't
  eb> know if it will be possible to get the needed changes in for this
  eb> release; but, I would like someone to try.

I don't think it will get into this release.  I have a port to OS/2
waiting in the wings as well that won't be making it.