Re: [Mingw-users] Make configuration for Win32.

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] Make configuration for Win32.
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 06:52:52 -0400

%% Earnie Boyd <address@hidden> writes:

  >> I then ran into unresolved symbols (including our old friend bcopy) in the
  >> link.
  >> bcopy was easily fixed, and I carried on with a few more defines for

For bcopy etc., the configure script checks that these exist and, if
not, redefines them using ISO C functions (see make.h).  At some point I
want to switch that around and use the ISO C functions in the code, and
have configure redefine them in terms of bcopy, etc. for those (few)
systems which don't have them.  But they should work as-is anyway.

  >> functions such as
  >> xmalloc -> malloc
  >> xstrdup -> malloc;strcpy
  >> and so on, but eventually came up against some such esoteric ones
  >> that I couldn't find a description anywhere, including fatal, error
  >> and savestring (obviously searching google for error isn't very
  >> helpful! although I found some reference to savestring in
  >> readline).  They weren't defined anywhere in the make sources, the
  >> only prototype being an extern in make.h, and I couldn't find them
  >> anywhere in my mingw

I don't understand this at all!  Obviously make will build on even the
most ancient UNIX systems, as well as Amiga, VMS, DOS, and Windows using
native Windows compilers.  None of these platforms have any of the
functions above.

_ALL_ the functions you describe above _ARE_ defined in the make source
code!

Look in misc.c; they're all right there.