mailman

[gnu.org #1385289] Re: Does this list echo?

From: Ian Kelling via RT
Subject: [gnu.org #1385289] Re: Does this list echo?
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 17:46:21 -0400

On Thu May 23 15:37:43 2019, iank wrote:
> On Thu May 23 12:18:45 2019, address@hidden wrote:
> > On 5/23/19 7:59 AM, Ian Kelling via RT wrote:
> > > Hi T,
> > >
> > > I will look into the issue.
> > > Please send a message to address@hidden that is
> > > the same subject and body as another message
> > > that you didn't get an echo for.
> > >

> > Certainly!
> >
> > Two are on its way.  Subjects:
> >
> >      Does this list echo?
> >      I need Dual Legacy EFI help
> >

> zoho.com has a strict dmarc policy, which forbids our servers from
> forwarding email in the traditional way.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMARC
> I'm working on a fix for
> this, but its about a month away from being fully rolled out.
> Until then, for any gnu.org or nongnu.org list, you should either
> a. avoid sending your email from zoho.com. or b. send email to
> the list and or me to ask that the list apply a setting to
> rewrite the from header for messages from domains like yours,
> https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/admin/LIST_NAME/privacy/sender
> dmarc_moderation_action set to "Munge From". You can assume
> its not set that way yet. One case it is safe to send, is
> if the list does not have subject prefixes, for example [help-grub]
> or footers added to the messages, and in that case, you
> can send from zoho.com address, but not as a reply.
>
> I've went ahead and applied the setting for help-grub since
> you are in the midst of discussion there.

I should have also mentioned that your message from zoho.com
is causing problems beyond just not sending to you, so this
is for other peoples sake too. You can check if a sending
domain has strict dmarc by running

host -t txt _dmarc.THE_DOMAIN

And seeing anything that says p=quarantine, or p=reject

--
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7  DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF