lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx word bleeding?

From: Mouse
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx word bleeding?
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 09:00:41 -0500 (EST)

>>> if the content is still there.
>> I think I understand the problem, and I have hit it as well on a
>> visual display.

>> Basically, yes, when you scroll, sometimes previous content is not
>> erased if the new line is shorter than the old line.  [...] (I have
>> seen this more often if â??funnyâ?? Unicode characters were used).

It occurs to me that this is exactly what I'd expect when using a
curses package written for single-byte character sets (like ISO-8859-*)
with UTF-8 content and a terminal emulator that supports UTF-8: curses
will emit multiple octets, which it thinks are multiple characters, but
they get displayed as only one character, overwriting a single
character cell when curses expects them to overwrite multiple cells.

Yet another reason - to me - to avoid UTF-8.  As if more were needed.

> Oh, anyone here use basic html for gmail with lynx?

At one of my jobs, they have decided to use Google for mail rather than
anything sane.  Initially, I wanted to fetch the mail and inject it
into my mailbox, but Google decided my mail-fetch client wasn't secure
enough (without, of course, explaining what was wronjg wit hit or what
I needed to do to "fix" it - never mind the issue of telling me how I
am allowed to handle my own mail).  So I've been using their webmail
interface - with lynx, of course, since Firefox kept unilaterally
deciding to "upgrade" in ways that actually reduced functionality.

The only thing I've seen change recently with that is that, before the
winter solstice break, my account had been marked to always drop
straight into their "basic HTML" interface.  Since the break, it makes
me do that manually every time I re-login.  I had a look at the
settings, but was unable to find a setting to fix it.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse@rodents-montreal.org