lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] reaching google in basic html with lynx.

From: Karen Lewellen
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] reaching google in basic html with lynx.
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 21:09:13 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Travis,
I am curious. can you share examples of sites that require a gmail account? And yet do not need you to confirm anything by sending you an email to that account? Speaking personally, the basic html edition of gmail is profoundly needful for me, especially as often things like pdf attachments get automatically converted to html, and in lynx become plan text. Same for word and docx files. still, I am personally unaware of a site that requires the use of gmail, the option to sign up with your gmail account, yes, but not an actual mandate.
Do you mind sharing your experiences with this?
Karen

On Sat, 16 Oct 2021, Travis Siegel wrote:

For what it's worth, when I clicked on that link, it brought me to the google page, and asked me if I was sure I wanted to turn on the html only (or whatever it was) feature of gmail.  I have a gmail account only because some sites require it.  I have never once actually checked said mail, and never plan to.

But, it did work.

On 10/16/2021 4:30 AM, Bela Lubkin wrote:
>  On Wed, 13 Oct 2021, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> >  Sharing this, in case it helps others.
 Zachary Lee Andrews replied:

>  Am I missing something, the only thing I see in your message is a gmail
>  URL that doesn't work...
 Right, gmail URLs are per-person.  mail.google.com/mail/u/0 is the
 mailbox of *your* primary logged-in google ID.  For anyone else, that
 URL means 'the message with this hash key in *my* mailbox', which is
 vanishingly unlikely to exist; and if it did, it wouldn't be the same
 message anyway.

 If you want to forward text out of a gmail message, you need to forward
 the text, not a gmail URL...

>  Bela<
 PS: apologies to Zachary for mistakenly sending 1st copy of this to him