lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Force PPP TermReq (Lwip 2.0.0 RC2)

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Force PPP TermReq (Lwip 2.0.0 RC2)
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 10:02:39 +0200

Hi Patrick,

On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 08:08:40PM -0400, Patrick Klos wrote:

> That's not how the Magic-Number option is used.  The Magic-Number is
> primarily used to detect when the link is (or becomes) looped back. If the
> sender receives an LCP Configure-Request (or other LCP packets which
> explicitly include the Magic-Number) with the it's own Magic-Number, it's
> safe to assume the link is in some kind of loopback mode.  You can get the
> full explanation in RFC 1661, but you get the idea.

Indeed, I thought it was used for more, but you are right, it is
actually only used to detect that the link is looped back.

> At this point, I think a packet (or byte) trace is the best diagnostic to
> show what's happening here.

Yes ! :)

Anyway, PPP is not known to quickly detect link loss and to quickly
recover from it, that's probably improvable by reducing timeout values
but then you increase the risk of false positive link lost detection.

Sylvain