lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] PBUFS + MEMP + LWIP 1.3.0

From: Sirjee Rooplall
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] PBUFS + MEMP + LWIP 1.3.0
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 14:04:52 +0200

Hi,

The pppMain thread is created as a sys_thread_new in sys_arch.c, from the ATMEL UC3A port of LWIP.

So I am not sure how the thread will end bby itself.

At the moment sys_threads cannot be ended, because of how they are created.

I do call pppSigHUP when I lose GPRS(physical layer).

But talk me through this senario,

From startup, once I get GPRS connection, I then call pppInit, then
pppOverSerialOpen.
pppOverSerialOpen creates the pppMain thread using sy_thread_new.

Now when I lose GPRS connection, i.e NO CARRIER.

I then try to re-establish GPRS and I can, what do I do to startup PPP stack for the second time, and what should I have done when I lost CARRIER to bring PPP down safely then UP again safely, without breaking any stack rules.

Kind Regards, Sirjee Rooplall Figment Design laboratories (Pty) Ltd mailto: address@hidden Mobile: +27 (0)83 230 8466 ----- Original Message ----- From: "Simon Goldschmidt" <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:41 PM

"Sirjee Rooplall" wrote
I am using PPP, and at the moment I am trying to track a bug that causes
my
system to crash, and when I stop me debugger it points to the
PPPthreadHandle. The failure seems to occur in the function pppInProc()
everytime.

The change log, does not show any changes to the PPP code,  so I am just
worried that I am going to waste alot more time to get the port done and
face the same problems.

There were some problems fixed with PPP with 1.3.1 or 1.3.2, but I only started to work on PPP after the 1.3.2 release (available in CVS HEAD - however there are too many changes there to use it right now).

I have seen in a website that when physical layer is not present i.e modem
in my case that the pppThread must be removed.
And that implementation of the thread remove used a function called
sys_arch_thread_remove, which does not appear in the LWIP 1.3.0,
sys_arch.c file.

That isn't really necessary. Calling pppHup (I think it was) should make the pppMain thread end itself. Your port only has to cope with thread functions returning, that should be all.

Is there an example of proper use of the LWIP PPP stack that I can look at
to get some pointers.

I'm afraid there isn't, currently. I do use it in the example win32 port, but that doesn't really help since it's based on CVS HEAD.

But even if there haven't been that many changes for PPP, it's still worth upgrading to 1.3.2 for the rest of the fixes.

Simon