Re: [Linphone-users] Re: several faq corrections and enhancements

From: Al Bogner
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Re: several faq corrections and enhancements
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 18:50:41 +0100

Am Mi, 23 Mär 2011 18:07:10 CET schrieb Liviu Andronic:

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 12:50:54 +0100, Al Bogner
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Am Mi, 23 Mär 2011 10:15:30 CET schrieb Liviu Andronic:
> >
> >> Hello Simon

> >> I've just found a different internet speed testing service [1],
> >> which is less confusing and seems to work better out of the box.
> >> Would you consider this for the FAQ?
> >> Liviu
> >>
> >> [1] http://whatismyipaddress.com/speed-test
> >
> > I think all these tests are useless and report fantasy values.
> >
> Why so? (Are you sure you do not confuse kbps and KBps? Initially I
> did.) Here it quite accurately detects the upload speed (roughly the
> one that Skype always uses) and the download one (when I download a
> big file on a good server).

Do a search for speed test and then try the different websites. I got
so different values, that I said this is useless.

wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.38.tar.bz2
50% [==================>                    ] 37.463.776  1,09M/s  ETA
34s

> > I test my speed, by downloading a big file with wget.
> >
> This doesn't give you the up speed.

Use scp with a big file.

scp linux-2.6.38.tar.bz2.1  address@hidden:/
linux-2.6.38.tar.bz2.1                          4% 3536KB 564.9KB/s
02:02 ETA

I know it gets less, because of the cache. It is just a simple, how it
could look like.

> As for the down, your speed will
> necessarily depend on that of the server. If the server is limited
> to, say, 800kbps (100KBps), then your download speed will be limited
> to that. I assume that these tests use servers with generous
> bandwidth

e.g:http://www.wieistmeineip.at/speedtest/
Download-Geschwindigkeit: [-]
9.060 kbit/s

(1.133 kByte/s)

Upload-Geschwindigkeit: [-]
72 kbit/s
(9 kByte/s)

I don't believe that my upload is so bad.

BTW, my modem (AVM Fritzbox) gives very good statistics between me and
my Provider

                Empfangsrichtung        Senderichtung
Max. DSLAM-Datenrate    kBit/s  20000   1024
Min. DSLAM-Datenrate    kBit/s  32      32
Leitungskapazität       kBit/s  11088   979
Aktuelle Datenrate      kBit/s  10805   979

The best downloads I get are 1,4 M/s, most times it is about 1,1 M/s.

Al