Re: [Linphone-users] Re: several faq corrections and enhancements

From: Liviu Andronic
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Re: several faq corrections and enhancements
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 19:54:10 +0100

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 18:50:41 +0100, Al Bogner <address@hidden> wrote:

Am Mi, 23 Mär 2011 18:07:10 CET schrieb Liviu Andronic:

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 12:50:54 +0100, Al Bogner
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Am Mi, 23 Mär 2011 10:15:30 CET schrieb Liviu Andronic:
>
>> Hello Simon
>>
>> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 12:10:18 +0100, Simon Morlat
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > The link you suggest for bandwidth checking doesn't work for me
>> > (linux with sun java 6). The java applet has an exception and
>> > fails to start.
>> >
>> I've just found a different internet speed testing service [1],
>> which is less confusing and seems to work better out of the box.
>> Would you consider this for the FAQ?
>> Liviu
>>
>> [1] http://whatismyipaddress.com/speed-test
>
> I think all these tests are useless and report fantasy values.

Why so? (Are you sure you do not confuse kbps and KBps? Initially I
did.) Here it quite accurately detects the upload speed (roughly the
one that Skype always uses) and the download one (when I download a
big file on a good server).

Do a search for speed test and then try the different websites. I got
so different values, that I said this is useless.

wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.38.tar.bz2
50% [==================>                    ] 37.463.776  1,09M/s  ETA
34s

> I test my speed, by downloading a big file with wget.

This doesn't give you the up speed.

Use scp with a big file.

scp linux-2.6.38.tar.bz2.1  address@hidden:/
linux-2.6.38.tar.bz2.1                          4% 3536KB 564.9KB/s
02:02 ETA

I know it gets less, because of the cache. It is just a simple, how it
could look like.

As for the down, your speed will
necessarily depend on that of the server. If the server is limited
to, say, 800kbps (100KBps), then your download speed will be limited
to that. I assume that these tests use servers with generous
bandwidth

e.g:http://www.wieistmeineip.at/speedtest/
Download-Geschwindigkeit: [-]
9.060 kbit/s

(1.133 kByte/s)

Upload-Geschwindigkeit: [-]
72 kbit/s
(9 kByte/s)

I don't believe that my upload is so bad.

BTW, my modem (AVM Fritzbox) gives very good statistics between me and
my Provider

                Empfangsrichtung        Senderichtung
Max. DSLAM-Datenrate    kBit/s  20000   1024
Min. DSLAM-Datenrate    kBit/s  32      32
Leitungskapazität       kBit/s  11088   979
Aktuelle Datenrate      kBit/s  10805   979

The best downloads I get are 1,4 M/s, most times it is about 1,1 M/s.

I see. Out of curiosity, have you tried the link that I've posted? Regards
Liviu

Al