Re: [Linphone-users] Re: several faq corrections and enhancements

From: Liviu Andronic
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Re: several faq corrections and enhancements
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 18:07:10 +0100

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 12:50:54 +0100, Al Bogner <address@hidden> wrote:

Am Mi, 23 Mär 2011 10:15:30 CET schrieb Liviu Andronic:

Hello Simon

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 12:10:18 +0100, Simon Morlat
<address@hidden> wrote:
> The link you suggest for bandwidth checking doesn't work for me
> (linux with sun java 6). The java applet has an exception and fails
> to start.

I've just found a different internet speed testing service [1], which
is less confusing and seems to work better out of the box.  Would
you consider this for the FAQ?
Liviu

[1] http://whatismyipaddress.com/speed-test

I think all these tests are useless and report fantasy values.

Why so? (Are you sure you do not confuse kbps and KBps? Initially I did.) Here it quite accurately detects the upload speed (roughly the one that Skype always uses) and the download one (when I download a big file on a good server).

I test my speed, by downloading a big file with wget.

This doesn't give you the up speed. As for the down, your speed will necessarily depend on that of the server. If the server is limited to, say, 800kbps (100KBps), then your download speed will be limited to that. I assume that these tests use servers with generous bandwidth.

Regards
Liviu

Al