Re: [Linphone-users] Re: several faq corrections and enhancements

From: Jim Diamond
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Re: several faq corrections and enhancements
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 19:24:04 -0300

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 12:50 (+0100), Al Bogner wrote:

> Am Mi, 23 Mär 2011 10:15:30 CET schrieb Liviu Andronic:

>> Hello Simon

>> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 12:10:18 +0100, Simon Morlat
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> The link you suggest for bandwidth checking doesn't work for me
>>> (linux with sun java 6). The java applet has an exception and fails
>>> to start.

>> I've just found a different internet speed testing service [1], which
>> is less confusing and seems to work better out of the box.  Would
>> you consider this for the FAQ?
>> Liviu

>> [1] http://whatismyipaddress.com/speed-test

> I think all these tests are useless and report fantasy values.

What a statement!

> I test my speed, by downloading a big file with wget.

You do realize that your speed is a function of the two endpoints, as
well as your ISP?  So all your wget test is telling you is how well
you are connected to the particular place you are wget'ing from.

The http://www.voipreview.org is an interesting test, but those of you
who want to try things out (or obsess too much) may like
        http://www.speedtest.net/
which determines where you are and picks a server near you.  You also
have the chance to choose a different server, thus you can see how
your speeds vary with different far endpoints.

Cheers.
                                Jim