Re: Feedback wanted: syntax highlighting in the LilyPond documentation

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: Feedback wanted: syntax highlighting in the LilyPond documentation
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 01:42:13 +0100

Hello Paul,

The documentation does not specify any fonts. It simply uses the <code> and
browser chooses as default font, which on Windows systems appears to be
Courier for monospace and apparently in your case Georgia for the regular
text.

If we want to specify the font we’d probably need to find good default fonts
for every system or provide our own fonts, which would very much favour OFL/
Apache/MIT/&c. kind of fonts.

I strongly vote to remain with a monospace font. Regular fonts are created for
readability of regular text. Code is fundamentally different from regular text,
so code becomes really hard to read in regular fonts. (Basically reading of
normal text works by recognizing the shape of the words. But code is usually
not made up from words.

But as you’ve mentioned the Source Sans Pro: Adobe has also issued a Source
Code Pro font for Code, which might work really well here. It comes in an
insane amount of cuts and even has a proper italic cut!

Also Source * fonts are licensed under the OFL, so there is no problem with
distributing them with the website.

Cheers,
Valentin