Re: Manipulating instrument names and staff group names

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Manipulating instrument names and staff group names
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 21:07:31 +0100

Le 03/11/2021 à 14:40, Kieren MacMillan a écrit :
2. I’m hoping to increase my Lilypond pay grade in the [very] near future, so
if there’s any way I can roll up my sleeves and get involved with actual
coding, please let me know.

Well, I would say it depends on what you intend to
do. Help out in implementing this particular feature?
The StaffCollection ancestor to StaffGroup might be
a good first contribution. For completeness you could
also add the intermediate type StaffMonoid.

Help out with LilyPond in general? There is no
shortage in tasks. One area where a beginner
can profitably spend time is the documentation.
There are loads of improvements to make there, by
completing existing material, restructuring it,
clarifying it, adding index entries where missing, ...
There is literally zero knowledge to acquire when
you are already a power user -- just look at the
surrounding material for how to write Texinfo, and
follow the cheat sheet in the Contributor's Guide
for Git usage. So take your pet peeve section and
start working. If you lack inspiration, scroll through
this list:

https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues?scope=all&state=opened&label_name[]=Doc

Now if what you want is really coding, there are
heaps of open issues waiting for you. Here are a
few that I believe (NB no warranty) would be feasible
for a power user with some minimal understanding of
Scheme:

https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/794
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/686
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/1034
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/1949
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/1860
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/2893
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/3901
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/5189
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6034
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/4320
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/4079

Feel free to ask anything on the lilypond-devel
list or to me personally.

Regards,
Jean