Re: Manipulating instrument names and staff group names

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Manipulating instrument names and staff group names
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 21:08:15 +0100

Le 06/11/2021 à 20:58, Kieren MacMillan a écrit :
Hello all,

Now if what you want is really coding, there are
heaps of open issues waiting for you. Here are a
few that I believe (NB no warranty) would be feasible
for a power user with some minimal understanding of
Scheme:
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/794
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/686
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/1034
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/1949
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/1860
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/2893
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/3901
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/5189
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6034
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/4320
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/4079
Thanks for this list!

1. Just to confirm: I will not need to touch any C++ code in order to fix these
issues?

Whoops, ahem, no. The following should be doable
with Scheme only:

https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/686
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/1034
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/1949
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/1860
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/2893
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/4320

(I tend to forget about this because I basically
learnt C++ while reading LilyPond source code.
That is to say, it's not so hard and, unlike Scheme,
can be done by trying and failing and guessing
if you have some experience with other imperative
languages.)

Among these, #1949 is an easy start, while #1034
would be borderline between easy and medium (I think).

2. Is there a tag/label on GitLab which identifies all and only those issues
which don’t (or at least shouldn’t likely) require any C++ work?

There isn't. We had Frog in the past (good for beginners,
not language-specific), but it was practically unused and
the issues tagged were not actually so easy. Feel free to
propose something on the devel list though.

Best,
Jean