Re: Manipulating instrument names and staff group names

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Manipulating instrument names and staff group names
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 21:09:51 +0100

Hi Kieren,

Am 06.11.21 um 20:58 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
Hello all,

Now if what you want is really coding, there are
heaps of open issues waiting for you. Here are a
few that I believe (NB no warranty) would be feasible
for a power user with some minimal understanding of
Scheme:
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/794
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/686
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/1034
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/1949
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/1860
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/2893
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/3901
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/5189
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6034
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/4320
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/4079
Thanks for this list!

1. Just to confirm: I will not need to touch any C++ code in order to fix these
issues?

I think that's too optimistic.

For example in #794, ly:arpeggio::print gets blamed. Functions starting with "ly:" are usually written in C++, and it is indeed (lily/arpeggio.cc).

But of course it might very well be possible to rewrite a function like this in Scheme. Lots of print routines are.

#686 certainly involves a bit of C++ programming (the command line is evaluated in C++).

#1034 seems safe, there's no actual "programming" involved, as far as I can see.

#1949 should be Scheme only.

... and now Jean's message arrives, making it unnecessary for me to look further :-).

Lukas