Re: OLL

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: OLL
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 16:32:01 +0200

Am Sa., 10. Okt. 2020 um 15:40 Uhr schrieb Andrew Bernard
<andrew.bernard@gmail.com>:

> Hello All,
>
> Since Urs has stepped down from OLL work for personal reasons, as
> somebody who has written code for OLL, and contributed some snippets
> of some utility, I have been considering taking it all over. I have
> proposed to make a new domain openlilylib.space, move to Gitlab.
> establish a website on my personal Linux servers at my own expense,
> and add much more documentation and morenad try to communicate the use
> and utility of OLL to end users.
>
> I have written to a few of the members of the list and perhaps it is
> too soon but I have only heard back from one person. There have been
> no contributions for some time. And now suddenly the thread about
> licencing has risen again, a topic which I find absurd and I would
> refuse to countenance it for any OLL work ongoing that I would be
> doing. It seems that thread is trying to actively discourage OLL use.
>
> Like Urs, I get the impression that the effort on OLL is not worth the
> return, as hardly anybody seems to use it and there appears to be
> little interest. This is very disappointing. So, may I ask - it is
> worth me continuing the development and maintenance of OLL?
>
> Andrew
>
> [I am not prepared to discuss changes to GPL and anything related to
> licences.]

Hi Andrew,

I think oll is worth keeping!!
Although, I have some concerns about spreading useful code(-snippets)
into too many locations (oll, lsr, private repos...) and I'd love to
see a better usage docu. (Every time I need something from oll, I need
to _search_ how to use oll, ... most of the time it ends up copying
the relevant code into my file, which is exactly the opposite of how
oll should be used).
Furthermore my available time is more and more limited (right now
autumn break started, so I may be more present on the mailing list
etc), thus I meanwhile have difficulties to even merely monitor the
mailing list.
Meaning I'm not really able to help you maintain oll.

Nevertheless, it would be a pity to loose oll!

Best,
  Harm