Re: Future of openLilyLib

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Future of openLilyLib
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 23:25:09 +0200

Hi all,

I guess the problem raised here is tough (is LilyPond a markup language
or a programming library, since you in fact mix notes and Scheme programs?).

Nevertheless, I'd like to make a point that seems to have been overlooked
so far: it's absolutely impossible to change the licensing of LilyPond by
now. There are 210 contributors in the Git repository. Adding an exception
to the LilyPond licensing would imply that we must get agreement from all
these contributors. This holds for openLilyLib too (the number of contributors
is in dozens
or so).

Therefore, it's pretty pointless to discuss adding exceptions to LilyPond's
terms of use (GPL). We cannot do this from the legal point of view, as far as
I understand.

At any rate, **I strongly urge everyone in this thread to honor a one-day timeout**,
until the day after tomorrow. Discussions with repeated posts in short time
frames tend to spiral out of control pretty quickly; let's give everyone the
time to reflect so as to make the talk productive.

Please, no posts this evening and tomorrow. Let everyone cool down.

After that, we can calmly discuss the licensing issue in a separate thread,
as well as address Urs' original question.

Cheers,
Jean