Re: ties between voices

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: ties between voices
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 15:51:26 -0600

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 3:44 PM David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:

> Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com> writes:
>
> > On 2020-06-29 2:17 pm, David Kastrup wrote:
> >> \voices 1,3,4,2 << \soprano \\ \alto \\ \tenor \\ \bass >>
> >> which is ugly enough as it is [...]
> >
> > Does not seem that ugly to me, but I suppose one could encapsulate it
> > via the ever-handy \etc:
> >
> > %%%%
> > \version "2.20.0"
> >
> > soprano = { c''4 }
> > alto = { a'4 }
> > tenor = { fis'4 }
> > bass = { d'4 }
> >
> > satb = \voices 1,3,4,2 \etc
> >
> > \satb << \soprano \\ \alto \\ \tenor \\ \bass >>
> > %%%%
>
> Cute.  I mean, for SATB one would likely use explicit voices anyway, but
> it's a nice shortcutlery nevertheless.

David,

This notation will greatly simplify some of the choral music I set in
the past year.   I forgot about the discussion on the lists, and so
didn't use it even though it was available.  Thanks for making it work

Aaron,

I think this is a useful enough wrapper that it should be in the NR
(and/or the LM).  I would most likely use it just in sa or tb, since
those are the voices that usually share a staff.  This notation might
actually reduce my use of \partcombine.  I'll have to try it out.

Thanks!

Carl