Re: ties between voices

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: ties between voices
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 21:04:17 -0600

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 8:32 PM David Zelinsky <dzpost@dedekind.net> wrote:

> Here's where it says "Lyrics and spanners (such as slurs, ties,
> hairpins, etc.) cannot be created *across* voices.":
>
>   http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices#index-_005cvoices
>
> And here's where it says they can:
>
>   http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/available-music-functions
>
> (Scroll down to "\voices".)

David,

I think you misunderstood.  The \voices command does not let slurs go across voices.  Rather, it allows existing voices to go into the << \\ >> polyphony _expression_.

Previously (and still, if you don't use the \voices command), << \\ >> created two temporary voices, neither one related to the voice containing the << \\ >> construct.  With the \voices command (strictly speaking it's a music function, IIUC), the voices within the << \\ >> construct can be specified, such that the slurs/ties/etc. go between entities in the same voice, rather than trying to go between entities in different voices.

HTH,

Carl